Saturday, July 30, 2016

Somebody's Mother

I got to do another Mother's Day painting in 2016.  Even though it was early May, and quite warm, my models were kind enough to dress in heavy coats, gloves and scarves, and make it look like winter, while posing on the street corner.  Thanks David and RaeMi!  David also had to show up to model right after being in a car accident!  I have the sweetest models ever!

The woman was old and ragged and gray
And bent with the chill of the Winter’s day. . . .
She stood at the crossing and waited long,
Alone, uncared for, amid the throng
Of human beings who passed her by
Nor heeded the glance of her anxious eye.
Down the street, with laughter and shout,
Glad in the freedom of “school let out,”
Came the boys like a flock of sheep,
Hailing the snow piled white and deep. . . .
[One] paused beside her and whispered low,
“I’ll help you cross, if you wish to go. . . .
“She’s somebody’s mother, boys, you know,
For all she’s aged and poor and slow.
“And I hope some fellow will lend a hand
To help my mother, you understand,
“If ever she’s poor and old and gray,
When her own dear boy is far away.”
And “somebody’s mother” bowed low her head
In her home that night, and the prayer she said
Was, “God be kind to the noble boy,

Who is somebody’s son, and pride and joy!”

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This brought me to tears. I was thinking about my mother, and all the hardships in her life that she had to endure. She was a beautiful woman that, eventually, even had a hard time doing the most simple every day things we all take for granted, like getting a full spoonful to her mouth without most of it all around her. She smiled through it all. And made us smile as well. Such a precious lady. Such a precious mother. She was always thinking of all around her, hoping there was something she could do to lift us up. She still does from heaven. I've always been so thankful for all the help she received from family, friends and strangers. But she always prayed for those who touched her life. We are all the better for her in ours.
Thank you, Amy. I miss you