Friday, May 30, 2008

The Pilgrims' Voyage



Mayflower Crossing
I was very pleased with how this turned out, since, unlike most paintings, it ended up as good as I imagined it. My husband helped make sure I made the sky dramatic enough, yet I left some sun shining through the clouds as an offering of hope. You may notice the tiny person I have being seasick over the side of the ship. I put him in for my sister.










Pilgrims' Landing
I often see paintings of these heroic pilgrims walking onto Plymouth Rock after their 100-day voyage of storms, sickness and death. I wanted to show that they were very grateful, but also very tired. I wanted to tell some stories with these people, like the sick and pregnant wife, and how Miles Standish, the first one on the beach, was so excited to reach land that he dropped his oar.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful. I love anything about the pilgrims.