Monday, August 24, 2009

The Boomerang Principle

I got to illustrate an Aesop's Fable! This is the Ant and the Dove. An ant falls in a fountain and is drowning, when a dove sees his plight and drops a leaf down for the ant to climb on and save himself. The ant then saves the dove by biting a hunter who is about to catch the dove, causing him to drop his net.
I was delighted to illustrate this one. I wanted to try it from a fun perspective--from up high, instead of eye level. I was able to design the leaves and branches, with the sweeping curve of the fountain and the branches encircling the ant on the single leaf in the middle. I was also happy to be able to use the children's book style with thick ink lines surrounding realistic shading and coloring, similar to what I used on the Emperor's New Clothes paintings.Many thanks to Emmanuel for posing as the hunter for this shot!

No comments: